One of my passions is to use my writing, editing, and communication skills in service to my community. When I can merge my love of the written and spoken word with my desire to effect positive change, I consider myself blessed and honored.
Board of Directors, Progressives for Change
- Mission: Progressives 4 Change is an inclusive and progressive network of residents determined to cultivate an informed and engaged citizenry in Elmhurst, IL and beyond. We gather to advocate, educate, and empower ourselves and others.
PTA at Emerson Elementary School
- I spearheaded the Junior Book Club program through the PTA at my children’s school, where I lead the students in discussions about classic children’s literature and encourage them to share their thoughts with others. In this way, they gain the confidence to truly take their experience of literature and art to a higher level.
- I volunteer at Emerson as a Parent Volunteer, working one-on-one with students or in small groups, as per the class teacher’s needs.
- I am Head Room Parent, organizing celebrations, special outings, and activities.
Outreach and Upliftment at my Local Mosque
- Secretary of Talebaat ul Muminaat for 7 years – During my time leading this young women’s organization, I was able to initiate several projects and programs that empowered our members and bettered our community, including a Senior Citizen’s Outreach, a Green initiative to reduce waste, and a Big Sister/Little Sister mentoring program.
- Muminaat Ijtima in Chicago – I organized a panel discussion for women in my community, for which I acted as Moderator. In this panel, we covered similar topics: education, career, the home, priorities, and what values we embody as well as pass on to our children. How do we see ourselves? What factors create our identity? What are our goals? The panel was a success in that it brought the panelists and the audience closer and strengthened the bonds between us. We are part of a tightly-knit community and we were reminded of just how precious and beneficial that is to our lives.
- Chicago Jamaat Blog – I wrote summaries of the waaz/bayaan (sermons) so that members of our community could further their learning about various topics.
- Chicago Jamaat: Eid Exhibition, Town Hall Event, Open House PR Events – I have written countless press releases, brochures, summaries, and speeches for various events held by our community. These events are attended by community members as well as local dignitaries, and the discussion that ensue foster and strengthen the bonds of friendship and understanding.
Other Community Service Projects
- Muminaat Ijtima in Mumbai – I was part of a panel discussion in Mumbai, India that was aimed at the younger women of our community. The discussion was meant to engage them, dispel misconceptions, and further dialogue. Topics included education and the search for knowledge (a requirement in Islam for men and women alike), career and priorities, motherhood, and family. Cross cultural and cross generational dialogue was initiated and that dialogue will continue to spark conversations and motivate our young women.
- Al-Mawaed Al-Saifiyah Full Report (Araz’ed to Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (RA)) – I was honored to write this report, which detailed the revolution of the Mawaed (kitchen) system at Al-Jamea, a university in Surat, India.
- eMuzakeraat – I wrote an episode for this initiative, which is an online version of Ted Talks, and specifically written for members of our community.
- Jamea tus Saifiyah Skype lecture – I was able to interact with an auditorium full of young women who attend Al-Jamea, answering their questions and talking to them about life as a Muslim woman in the U.S.
- Jamea-tus-Saifiyah Science Textbook Editing – I was asked to edit a science textbook that will be implemented into the curriculum at Al-Jamea, a university in Surat, India.